eCommerce Data is clear – you need to have cross sell items for every product in your catalog to help conversion. The usual process consists of manually associating items in the Magento Admin interface. This process works fine if you have hundreds or even a few thousand items – OR – you have this data in back end systems.
What happens if you don’t have the data and you have 15,000+ items in your catalog?
- Hire someone to associate all products?
- Randomly apply products in your data feed?
- Develop custom code?
All of the above items are true for my Medical Supplies business – Medical Delivered so I needed a solution. I decided to auto assign cross sell products on the front end on product page render.
- The item must be “visible”
- The item must reside in the same category as the current item
- Don’t display the item from the current product detail page
- All products automatically have cross sells displayed
- No need to assign products on the back end
- BAD: Less control over items displayed
This solution won’t work for everyone, if you are an advanced retailer you won’t want to lose this control but if you just want cross sells and don’t have the time/resources to define manually you can try the code below.
(you may need to create this path – make sure to replace <template> with your template name)
Room for improvement:
- Display items from the back end if exist
- Display only items with images
I hope this helps someone. If you have any suggestions for improvement or code upgrades/fixes please let me know in the comments.