Setting up Sonos Playbar with Samsung Smart TVs.
The Sonos system for surround sound via the playbar with a sub and some play 1s or play 3s for rear surrounds provides a nice wireless setup for surround sound. Pair this with a 2016 Samsung TV like the KS8000 or KS9000 and you have a nice setup.
If you figured out the universal remote solution you may have been running before with macros and series of commands is no longer needed you are probably as excited as I was. Now you finally have a single remote that everyone can use and seamlessly controls all of your devices.
The problem occurs when you setup the Sonos playbar and try to use the Samsung remote to control the Sonos volume.
Don’t fret, there is a solution that works… but before we get there lets cover some of the misinformation you will find along the way.
#1 Sonos will point you to invalid help pages (as of September 2016)
- It will tell you the setup is simple, just connect the IR adapter that comes with your TV and your RF signals will be repeated via the INCLUDED IR repeater and everything will work fine.
- The problem is Samsung no longer sends an IR repeater, go ahead – dig in your box, you won’t find it.
#2 Forums will say its possible and also that its not possible
#3 You will consider sending the Sonos back…
#4 Hopefully you find this page or figure out the link below yourself.
The best answer to be found online before this post is here – https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/using-samsung-smart-touch-remote-with-playbar-6735082/index1.html#post16032764
- A nice fellow named Buc_Nasty lays this out pretty well. This is how I figured it out.
- This post uses the power of the inter web to show you pictures and helps with the setup of Direct TV, Apple TV, etc along with the analog input shown by Buc
How to setup Sonos Playbar with 2016 Samsung TVs
Please follow these steps exactly, don’t guess ahead or assume you know then comment it does not work. It does work if instructions are followed.
Setup your Sound System on the Samsung
- Go to Source the box with the arrow pointing in.
- Select “Universal Remote”
- Select the choice “New Device”
- Select “Home Theater System”
- Select the Brand “Bose” – I know its not a Bose, do it anyway.
- Select “Optical” as the port
- Press the “Power Test” button and say “Yes” – It won’t turn off your Sonos – don’t expect it to.
- You should end up with something like this where your devices are listed and also “Bose”
- CRITICAL – On the TV go to source and select TV (like old school TV as shown) as the input.
- Part 2 – On the Sonos App. Go to the hamburger menu and “Settings”
- Go to “Room Settings”
- Select “TV Setup and Control”
- Select to “Replace Current Remote” OR “Add new Remote” if you don’t already have one setup. The Sonos App will now ask you to press the volume up button. Press on the Samsung remote.
- Success – you should now see the Sonos light up when you press the up or down button on the Samsung remote. Now lets tell the TV to use the Sonos for sound on your devices. You will need to repeat the steps below for each device you would like the sound to be played via Sonos.
- Go back to the “Universal Remote” input like step 2. Find the first TV source you want to change. In this case Direct TV. Press UP and select “Use with Home Theater”
- The name will now change to -Bose like shown below “DIRECTV-Bose”, lets edit the name to make it just Direct TV. Select this input and press Up to find “edit”
- Alter the name and remove the -Bose
- Now the Samsung will find “DirectTV” and automatically add the icon back.
- Select your next input device and select “Use with Home Theater”, change name, etc
At this point your Samsung remote will control the volume via the Sonos Playbar and you can still maintaine the single remove dream.
Hope this helps someone.